8.10.2005

Not much knitting

I have been very remiss in writing here lately. And I have been so busy that I haven't even had time for any knitting (gasp!). This whole impending move thing is taking up a lot of time, going through stuff and trying to be brutal and get rid of stuff. (I am a saver, a.k.a. pack rat, and I come by it naturally since my dad is one too!)

As mentioned before, I did take the black sweater along on our camping trip...but then got so completely sucked into my book, Maeve Binchy's "Nights of Rain and Stars" that I didn't even pick up my needles once! That's what happens with me when I read her books. I love them, and become very anti-social when I am into one.

So I have a weekend trip to a wedding coming up and I was going to take along the black sweater, but really it's not a project very well-suited to travel. It's not that big yet but rather than the issue of volume I am more concerned with protecting the yarn. I'd like to keep the snags to a minimum, and that's better done from the relative safety of my own home.

Therefore I am taking my sock. The one that has a mate that's already done. So conceivably, depending on how much free time I have, I could have an entire pair of socks done soon. I am at the point where I am about to turn the heel, such a magical thing. Yes, I definitely think this is the best plan for travel. I have some other yarn for socks waiting in the wings (some fun self-striping yarn in red and gray and some pink that's plain but I just couldn't resist, cuz, well, it's pink...kind of matches this page, come to think of it) and when I am done with this sock, I might consider starting one of those others because as I keep seeing people on the knitting parts of the web point out, socks really are a great on-the-go project. I could even keep them all ready to grab, self-contained in their own little tote (seeing as I have more bags than you could shake a stick at, to borrow a phrase I've heard my parents use more than once). That or a scarf. In fact, now that I think about it, for a travel project I should probably finish up one of the scarves I have going before I start any more socks...

No comments: