4.18.2008

Is this thing on?

Yup, apparently so. That worked! Okay, so, I can email posts in if I want. Good to know.

So anyway, sorry about that, back to regular things now. Well, sort of. This isn't really a knitting related post, but I hope you'll stay for a moment! See, I am trying to decide if I want to move my blog over to WordPress. I actually started one over there just to be able to fiddle around with it and see what it's like.

The way I see it, there are a lot of pros and cons on both sides for both Blogger and WordPress. The two main pros for WordPress are that the comments have email (so I can respond to people) and it also has blog stats. It also seems pretty user-friendly when it comes to editing. It is not, however, very customizable. I mean, I was able to choose just about all the colors and formatting here...you can change fonts and colors and all that stuff on Blogger, but not WordPress. But I guess I have to ask myself if that really bothers me?

The comments do seem to appear quickly and easily on WP. It all just seems sort of more...streamlined to me. I also like that you can have separate pages for "about me" info and such. (You'll see I added one for WIPs and completed projects.) The sidebar is VERY fiddly for updating, but, I think that using those easily editable pages for things I update frequently instead is definitely the way to go...easier in fact than the sidebar in Blogger. So in WP, I would likely just add buttons and such in the sidebar and then leave that alone. The downside is that my sidebar would not feature my WIPs, but, that's probably just fine.

I'm sort of leaning towards the switch, although now that I just learned that I can email posts successfully to Blogger, well...hmm. I know WordPress doesn't have that feature.

Now here's a quick question for you, my readers, if you'll kindly oblige: I'm sure you all read a lot of blogs, some on Blogger, some on WordPress, others elsewhere. Does anyone have any preference from a blog-reading perspective for one or the other? Just curious.

Okay, here's the blog I set up over at WordPress: http://theknittingmoose.wordpress.com/ And yeah, that's another bonus...I managed to snag "theknittingmoose" as my login and url!! ;o)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't really have an opinion about the two. But I haven't had a problem with blogger. Good luck in deciding!

Too Little Time said...

I like the look of wordpress, I also like how easy it is to post to peoples blogs in Wordpress. In fact, I might have to check it out myself..... maybe. =) Karrie

peaknits said...

The only thing I wish I had but don't with Blogger - is what you mentioned - I wish I could e-mail people back after they leave a comment. Otherwise, I like using Blogger - and I think I enjoy reading it at lease as much as a wordpress blog:)

Knitting Kris said...

I like blogger better, but do wish they had the e-mail feature that you mentioned. For some reason (dial-up connection), word-press takes longer to download....don't know why.
PS - we are dial-up by location, not by choice :(